Why is Pork Haram?
By Wafiq Syed
It is commonly known throughout humanity that Muslims cannot consume pork. Surprisingly to many is the fact that it is pork is forbidden in Christianity and Judaism as well. Many may wonder why, and recent studies have shed light upon some of the wisdom behind this prohibition. In this post, you will learn 2 things:
- Prohibition of Pork in Islam, other religions, and mythology
- Why Muslims cannot eat pork and what are the benefits of abstaining.
Proof for Prohibition of Pork
Islam is a religion of proofs and evidences. It is not permissible to act upon something without having an authentic source that states it is either from the Qur’an or the Sunnah (Prophet’s actions and words peace be upon him). So we begin by citing the authentication from the Qur’an:
Prohibited to you are dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah , and [those animals] killed by strangling or by a violent blow or by a head-long fall or by the goring of horns, and those from which a wild animal has eaten… (Qur’an 5:3)
Though the familiar understanding of the forbiddance of pork is only in Islam, consuming pork is actually forbidden in other religions too!
Prohibition of Pork in Christianity
And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you. Ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcass. [Deuteronomy 14:8]
Prohibition of Pork in Judaism
…the pig, though it has a divided hoof, does not chew the cud; it is unclean for you. You must not eat their meat or touch their carcasses; they are unclean for you. [Leviticus 11]
- Furthermore, myths of the ancient Canaaties, Egyptians and Greeks state that it was swine that killed their gods, and the pig shunned as being unclean.
Science Behind Pork Being Haraam
There are numerous parasites, bacteria and viruses in a pig’s body which can be transfused to human beings and animals. Pigs eat some of the most disgusting things known to man, and with this consumption comes many diseases that can be passed on to whoever eats pork. Contrary to claims that the meat can be made safe through modern techniques, it is evident that wherever swine is kept, disease erupts, even in highly advanced countries. Some facts that show the wisdom behind the prohibition of eating pork are:
- Unlike other mammals, a pig does not sweat or perspire. Perspiration is a means by which toxins are removed from the body. Since a pig does not sweat, the toxins remain within its body and in the meat.
- Below, you’re looking at the red blood cells of a 52-year old man before (left) and 5 hours after (right) eating an unmarinated pork chop. Notice how the red blood cells (RBCs) are highly aggregated. This blood condition disrupts microcirculation and is proof of an inflammatory response.
- Pigs eat just about anything! Waste, garbage, other infected animals, and even it’s own dead child! They’re scavengers.
- It’s digestive system only takes 4 hours, too quick! Because of the quickness of the pig’s digestive system many of the toxins are not eliminated and stored in the pig’s fat.
The forbiddance of pig flesh, including fat, is mentioned in 3 places in the Qur’an, and it is described therein as impurity. At the time of revelation of the Qur’an, no one but Allah was aware of the many illnesses and disorders attributed to swine by medical science. Still to come are many more discoveries of the horrific side effects of eating pork, but since Allah forbids Muslims to do it, we must obey Allah as He is our Master, and He always knows what is best.